Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Is it too late for New Years Resolutions?

So for the past three months I have been trying to get started on my New Years Resolutions but have sadly failed.  To be very honest I haven't done more then just think about them and say "I'll start next week".  Well that week turned into next week and so on and so on.  Now here I am mid March in a tragic state.  My first resolution like millions of other Americans is to get back in shape.  I had lost most of the baby weight with little to no effort so when I only had 4 more pounds to lose I didn't feel too bad.  Then I remembered that I was 5 pounds over weight when I got pregnant.  So, 9 pounds to be fair.  Well to my surprise I got on the scale Tuesday morning and realized that I had gained 3.8 pounds, YIKES!!!!  Now (if you round up) I have 13 pounds to lose.  How did those innocent 4 pounds turn into 13!  I am hoping that the shear humiliation of posting this for all to read will be motivation enough to get my behind in gear.  I officially started a "Weight Management" program on Tuesday and is going well so far.  Wish me luck!

Second, and much harder is my resolution to wake up earlier.  Those closest to me know that I am a classic "Snoozer"  so much so that I often use up all my snoozes and wake up in a panic because I am late.  Then I proceed to rush around like a mad women in the morning trying to get ready for work.  Then I have a very stressful drive to work as I scold myself for not just getting out of bed when I am supposed to and promise myself that things will be different tomorrow but they never are.  This one I am really going to have to work on and maybe just cut back from 3 snoozes to just 1, we'll see?

Lastly, I have resolved to try and take better care of me.  I love taking care of my sweet Jalen, and doing what I can to help Nathaniel, and all the time and energy I put into the preschool, and organizing our mommy and me group, and my calling at church, and the never ending cooking and cleaning, and the occasional dinner parties with friends.  However I just don't have the time or energy for me.  I have been wanting to cut my hair for months but always put it off.  I haven't had a pedicure in months!!  I haven't read any new books in months (I miss this the most).  Finding time to exercise is impossible (see resolution #1 for the consequence of that one).  I know this probably seems trivial and maybe a little selfish but I just think I need to squeeze a little me time in here and there.   I think I will start with reading a good book, if you have any suggestions let me know?  

2 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

Well I love all these New Years Resolutions and I also am in the same state as you with the never starting them and then it suddenly being March??? Where did the time go?
Anyway, congrats on the weight loss and I like you started pregnancy at 5 lbs over weight so I know I am going to have to work extra hard after I have this little girl.
And YES you need to for sure take time for yourself and don't feel bad about it. I do the same thing and always feel guilty when I do something for me but I try to remember all the things I do for others and remind myself that I do not splurge often and that I deserve it, and my family would want that for me as well!
Good books??? I do not read a ton but I have LOVED: Tuesdays with Morie (you will want to give a copy to every person you love in the world when you are done), The Notebook (better than the movie), My Sisters Keeper (AMAZING!!!!), and The Memory Keepers Daughter! I do not read but loved all these ones!

Benjamin said...

I am sooo with you on all counts! Lets make this a team effort!