Monday, July 21, 2008

Seven Weeks Early


On July 12th I went to my OB for a by-weekly check up when they finally discovered I had toxemia. I say finally because I had suspected I had toxemia for about three weeks prior to this but the Doctor brushed it off as just regular pregnancy symptoms. I was extremely swollen, started gaining weight rapidly, and was getting headaches- all signs of toxemia. The only thing I didn't have was high blood pressure. When I went in for my exam that day the nurse took my blood pressure and she got this horrified look on her face and said, " I need to take it again". I knew right then. She took it again and then said "Wow, it's pretty high". The Doctor came in and sent me to the hospital to do some blood work. At this point I was feeling glad that they finally figured out what was wrong and figured they would put me on bed rest and send me home. I called Nathaniel who was at work and told him not to come home that I would keep him updated. When I got to the hospital my blood pressure was even higher. The blood work came back positive for toxemia and they immediately put an IV in me and started me on medication to bring down my B.P. After about 3 hours the nurse came in and told me that there efforts were not working and I would be in the hospital until I delivered the baby. My first thought was 7 weeks in the hospital are going to drive me crazy! I called Nathaniel and told him he had better come down, he told me he was already on his way :) The next day my doctor came in to check on my progress and said they were going to try and keep me pregnant as long as possible but that if I didn't make any progress they would have to deliver the baby via an emergency C-Section. As the day progressed my symptoms worsened and at 3:45 in the afternoon the doctor came in and announced that for the health of the baby and I they were going to deliver him at 4:30. I of course panicked and was overwhelmed with concern for the baby. I was only 33 weeks pregnant and wasn't prepared in any way to bring a baby home so early. From that moment on everything happened so fast. They brought Nathaniel clothes for the operating room and prepared me for surgery. We went into the operating room at 4:45p.m and Jalen was born at 5:01pm on Friday, June 13th. That's right Friday the 13th!! He was only 3 pounds 11 ounces but really healthy.


It was love at first sight. Jalen had to be in the NICU for three weeks. It was so hard seeing him with all his wires and tubes. I felt so helpless. We went to the hospital 3 times a day for his feedings and it killed me every time I left without him. It was tough but I know that we were truly blessed because he was so strong and made progress everyday. We are so thankful for our sweet baby boy!

3 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

I am SO SO SO HAPPY that everything went so well! I am SO SO SO Happy that the doctors took everything as serious as they did and that your little man is so strong. Not suprising from who his wonderful parents are. Glad everything went well.

Anonymous said...

SO STOKED for you two!! Jalen is TOO CUTE!! Glad that things are picking up...seriously am SO HAPPY Jalen and MAMA are doing good!! ;) I HAVE SURE BEEN MISSIN YOU GUYS!! Tell Nathaniel we say HI!! ;)

Heather said...

So scary, I sorry you had to go through it! But I'm so glad it turned out so well, he is one cute little man! Cannot wait to see him in person!!